Monday, February 1, 2010

Polar Opposites

"Question" (In Dwight voice): "Do opposites attract?"
"Answer: No they do not"...in fact they repell one another in horrer and disgust

So, I've been noticing how different our kids are:

Lukas is quiet and reflective
Adelaine tells you EVERYTHING she is thinking, and then tells you it again, and then again

Adelaine is a morning person: a loud, boisterous morning person
Lukas is a night person: a quiet, still awake-forever person

Lukas is not into sports
Adelaine will bounce any ball or bounce herself anywhere, anytime

Lukas wants to stay home all day
Adelaine asks constantly, "Where are we going?....and then where?...what after that?"

Adelaine responds to Love and Logic choices such as "Do you want the orange or the carrot first?" with joy and glee saying "I love BOTH oranges and carrots"...then squeals
Lukas responds to Love and Logic choices such as "Lukas, you can have a pickle after you eat your carrots" by giving them back to me and saying "Mama, you can have a kiss after I get my pickle." then winks at me


Adam and Adelaine were gone on a trip to Pennsylvania to see family, and so while he got some amazing quality time with her enjoying family, riding horses, etc....I was home with Lukas, doing crafts, having fun with friends and letting him sleep in my bed. So, in light of their differences, I shouldn't have been surprised when, on the way to the airport, I asked Lukas "What are you going to say to Adelaine when you first see her?" (of course thinking "I miss you" "Nice to see you", etc). His response, "I'll tell her, 'Please stop talking." At least he was polite about his anticipated chatty car ride home.

So, today - our first day back together was rough. Lukas annoyed he can't get a word in edge-wise...and her trying to hug and affirm everything he says and does (and then trying to continue to kiss him when she realizes he is annoyed with her). In typical Adelaine style, we picked up Adam from work and before I get to ask, she says, "Daddy, did you have a good day? I love you Daddy, I missed you Daddy, Daddy, I want to snuggle you." And in the rear view mirror, I watched my son, roll his eyes, and just glare at the goody goody sister beside him. I couldn't help but feel for him a bit. It must be hard for them when they don't understand one another at all.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Isn't it interesting to also see the parts of you and Adam in each of your kids? God made them each individual and I can't wait to see what is in store for them!

P.s. Lucy and Adelaine should have a sleep over together when we get home so they can wake up early in the am and be chatty Kathy with each other......Eli and I just WANT silence!

The Meyers Family said...

at least only one of your kids has issues with never shutting up. BOTH of mine are chattering ALL THE TIME!!!! :)

Happy birthday to Lainie tomorrow - we'll call her to sing!

Eve said...

I love it. He'll miss all the chatter when they're grown up. :)